Our dentist can treat your gum disease with a laser gum treatment in Muskegon, Michigan. If you are suffering from periodontal disease, it is time to start taking steps to improve your oral health. Schedule your laser treatment with Dr. James R. Donley at 231-720-0006. Our team at Lumbertown Dental Wellness looks forward to providing you with this comfortable and efficient treatment.
Laser gum treatment is a type of treatment for periodontal disease that is completed using a dental laser. Our dentist may recommend laser gum treatment if your smile is affected by periodontal disease. Also known as gum disease, periodontal disease is a degenerative condition caused by bacteria in plaque. As the plaque builds up on the teeth, the bacteria may cause inflammation and infection in the gums and supporting tissues. When left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss, bone loss and receding gums. Laser gum treatment is used to kill bacteria, remove infected tissue and encourage the growth of healthy gum tissue. Through treatment, we strive to halt the progress of the disease and encourage the growth of healthy tissue.
Laser periodontal therapy offers numerous benefits and advantages over more traditional periodontal treatments:
- Less gum tissue is lost: A laser is more precise than traditional tools and instruments, meaning incisions are smaller and more accurate. Infected areas can be targeted with little effect on surrounding healthy tissue.
- Bleeding can be controlled immediately: Laser therapy means less bleeding, and what little bleeding there is can be controlled with cauterization. This means that any bleeding that does occur can be stopped right away.
- The laser can be easily handled: The intensity and wavelength of the laser can be adjusted for each unique scenario of periodontal surgery. No matter the area and infection, we can ensure that the laser will be customized to fit your needs.
- Recovery time is shorter: Gums treated with laser therapy often heal more quickly than when treated with traditional methods. Any soreness is usually temporary and abates shortly.
- Laser treatment is affordable: Just because lasers are more advanced does not mean they will cost patients more. The equipment is more expensive to operate, but it results in less medication and fewer appointments for patients. Ultimately, the cost of laser therapy is often the same or even less than the cost of treatment that does not use lasers.
- Lasers can assist with scaling and root planing: Even in a traditional treatment like scaling and root planing, lasers can be very useful. They can make the process smoother and more effective.
- Cavities can be removed during laser therapy: Commonly, patients with periodontal disease also have cavities. During treatment for periodontal therapy, the laser can also be used to remove dental decay that causes cavities. The laser can precisely target only the affected area so that as much healthy enamel as possible is left behind.
To learn more about the advantages of laser gum treatment, we welcome you to call or visit our dental office today. We are committed to improving your oral health!